World We Dare to Imagine Part 1

Western values are inherently quite individualistic. Evident in our history and our own experiences,  capitalism—a cornerstone of our society—perpetuates continued values of individualism. However, as long as it continues to foster innovation, it’s impossible to separate these two ideals. 



However, this is most definitely not true for the rest of the world. I’ve reflected on Jacqueline Novogratz’s The Blue Sweater, and it’s clear to me that strong communities with impeccable resilience still exist to support each other when no one else will. The same sense of hyper individualism does not exist all across the world. The issue is that when addressing global issues, these communities that are directly affected cannot be the only ones engaged. 



In imagining making the world a better place, I see us students at the forefront. Not only educating ourselves on these issues to move towards a collective shift for community values, but taking that leap needed to make change. There's a whole world out there where community reigns supreme, and Novogratz's insights remind us of the strength found in collective resilience. However, for true global progress, everyone needs to be involved, not just those directly affected by the issues. As students, we have the opportunity to lead the charge, educating ourselves and taking action towards a more community-oriented world. I hope after we graduate we can step into the future unafraid, ready to take risks for the greater good. After all, even small actions in our free time can make a big difference.


Comments

  1. Hey Tina! I think that your perspective on the balance between individualism and community values, especially in the context of global issues, is insightful. It's most definitely encouraging to see your belief in students' potential to lead positive change by embracing collective values and taking action. I think you could perhaps take this one step further in initiating student-led initiatives or organizations focused on community-oriented goals. Particularly, through collaborating with like-minded individuals, you can amplify your impact and create meaningful change on a larger scale. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tina! I agree that we as students have the power and ability to set the new standard and foster new values for generations to come that ultimately make our world a better place. Every "small" action towards that is a impactful and powerful step in achieving our goals of living in a better world. I suggest joining organizations that resonate with your community-oriented values and goals and team up with members of the Trojan family so that you can work together to create the goals you envision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina! I agree that student have a lot of power and are a great place to start to push for change. One way I think you could start with helping foster greater community in students is by working with schools near you to support community bonding through activities that are focused on visibly contributing to their community through things like large scale community painted art projects or by cleaning up community spaces, etc. (just 2 examples). Or perhaps you could work with community focused organizations/npos and focus on finding ways to strengthen their connections with other nearby groups to help make the communities more interconnected little by little. Overall I really liked your reflection and takeaways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina! I really enjoyed reading your post and reflection of the Blue Sweater. Growing up in an Asian household/community, I've also reflected on Western individualism and while admiring its ability to drive innovation, it often lacks a community aspect that can be such a powerful tool in changing the world. I agree with students being at the forefront, as we will eventually be the generation that leads the world, holding positions that make important changes that can move the world. Thus, it is critical to shape the minds of students in a good direction while we are all learning. I think in terms of taking action, it could be impactful to make a student coalition/join one that debate/speak on important topics of the world - having discussions on valuable topics and hear opinions of other students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AMDP: Brewgooder