How the Week Organizes and Tyrannizes Our Lives

As someone who used to be an avid physical weekly planner user, the weekends after a long week of school were my absolute favorite. They meant eating out with my mom, getting boba for every meal, and sleeping in until 2 PM. However, as I got older, weekends turned into extended work days meant to catch up on missing assignments I failed to turn in on time.


However, things changed after I came to USC. Thursdays after 4 PM marked the beginning of my weekend; my refusal to take any Friday classes ensured that. Some semesters—if I had an especially lucky schedule—I would have Mondays and Fridays off because I had no classes. This semester, my Tuesdays and Fridays are free of any classes.



Growing up, I always asked my mom why we had Sundays and Saturdays off. If everyone is trying to run errands on those two days, wouldn’t it be better for us to pick two other days to take off so that we can avoid the rush hour and grocery shoppers? She never had an answer. However, as I mentioned, having every Tuesday off has given me time to reflect on the rigid 5-day workweek, 2-day weekend schedule I’ve been taught since I was a child.



From the cultural to religious influence of the 7-day week cycle that has been exacerbated by television schedules, it’s interesting how we as humans continue to solidify the existence of this schedule. Furthermore, Achelis’ attempts at calendar reform were because some things didn’t make sense and were “disturbing” is quite funny in many ways. It truly makes me think about how much these norms matter at the end of the day, and what other guidelines we follow as a society may be worth reconsidering in order to better suit our needs and lifestyles.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World We Dare to Imagine Part 1

AMDP: Brewgooder