Who You Are Matters!

I'm from... 
yeehaw land, also known as Houston, Texas!

  Houston unfortunately does not look this nice in real life

However, I'm constantly going... 
to different worlds through the various TV shows I'm watching. Currently, I am following Percy Jackson on his journey to New York. The TV show just came out, and it's been incredibly nostalgic. 

While Percy will encounter many obstacles on his way to New York, I will personally get there by...
opening up Disney Plus. 



In many ways I'm like my mother... 
creative, stubborn, adventurous. 

However, in many ways I'm also not like my mother... 
who always wears her heart on her sleeve and immediately displays her emotions on her face. 

My expectations for myself... 
used to be a muddled reflection of my family's. I say muddled, because while I tried incredibly hard to exceed my family's expectations of me, I never truly understood what those expectations were in the first place. In recent years I've begun to realize that my family only hoped for me to try my best in everything I do; not always attempt to be the best. 

While I'm slowly coming to terms with setting my own expectations for myself, especially when it comes to my hobbies, friendships, and professional life. Not only do I want to balance all three of them, but I want to feel excited (and hopefully not burnt out) when I think about them. I would never want my hobbies or spending time with the important people around me to be a chore. Nor do I want to dread getting up every morning for work. In terms of expectations for myself, I will always try my best in everything I do while still maintaining a healthy balance in life. 

My role model is.... 
always changing. Even growing up I never solely looked up to one person. I like to associate my admiration with specific traits rather than focusing on a single individual. Bridgit Mendler, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Rachel Lim, and Gemma Chan are amongst the many that I look up to that inspires me to live my life with integrity, passion, and purpose. 

I feel a special connection with red pandas; curious, yet cautious. 


Every tree and plant encounter I've had growing up has always felt significant. Not because I am an outdoors-nature enthusiast—no, it's quite the opposite. I've always attributed them with my unfortunate pollen allergy and its (not so cool) side effects: itchy eyes, the inability to breathe, and occasionally hives. While Claritin protects me from my archenemy now, that wasn't always the case growing up. My elementary school was filled with large oak trees—a leading culprit for making Houston tree pollen one of the worst in the nation. 


On one particular extra pollen-y day, my eyes became so itchy that eventually I rubbed them bright red. I still remember walking down the bright white hallway to the nurse to get an ice pack, only to be sent home because the school nurses feared I had pink eye. My parents had to get me from school early, and I got a nice treat from McDonald's on the way home! 


Birth chart:
Leo SUN ☀️
Leo MOON 🌙
Virgo RISING 🌿

Comments

  1. Hi Tina,

    I think it is really cool that you are from Houston. I was in San Antonio over the summer for an internship and met a lot of really cool people from Houston. Red Pandas are awesome animals that always remind me of Shifu from Kung Fu Panda. I also grew up reading the Percy Jackson books and I have found the new TV show a lot more accurate than the films in the past so I am stoked on the nostalgia in that! I really hope that the new Avatar: The Last Airbender live action show does a similar job. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina! I just noticed that our big three in astrology is really similar, I'm a Virgo Sun and also Leo Moon! Do you happen to know what degree your Leo moon is in? Mine is in 0 degrees :) I also relate to always traveling/living through different worlds based on the show or movie I'm watching or book I'm reading. Right now I am back into Twilight which has been my favorite since I was about 10 years old and it is incredibly nostalgic for me as it seems Percy Jackson is for you. I actually never got into the Percy Jackson series but maybe I'll just have to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a huge fan of Twilight! I'm curious do you like the movies? My cousins and I love watching it literally every year just because it's still so nostalgic (and funny lol). Also! My leo moon is 23 degrees and rising virgo is 0 degrees :0

      Delete
  3. Hi Tina,
    It's amazing to see that you are coming to realize your own expectations for yourself while also prioritizing a balanced life. I also believe living a balanced life is very important for our overall well-being. I've heard red pandas are very rare and found in Chengdu. My friend is from Guangzhou and has mentioned seeing red pandas in the Chengdu province, but that they are super rare. I would also like to see one in the bamboo forest one day. Overall, great post!
    -PR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina!
    I really like the way you described your expectations for yourself in relation to what you believed your family's to be. You encapsulated really well what I've always felt, but did not quite know how to say. I similarly have come to realize that I never fully understood my family's expectations of me, as I believed I had to attempt to be the best when in reality they just wanted me to give my best effort in whatever I pursued. I also love that your special connection is with red pandas. They are adorable and I love the image you chose for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina, I really enjoyed reading your post. I was so excited to read that you are also a Percy Jackson fan. It has also been a nostalgic journey for me, as I started reading the books when I was a little girl. I also think it is an amazing journey to reframe the expectations we have of ourselves. It can be a very hard process but it sounds like you have a clear priority set: balancing your hobbies, friendships, and professional life to achieve a healthy dynamic. I feel inspired by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina!! Thank you for your post and I appreciate you sharing about family expectations a lot. I resonate with you deeply in the sense that I also want to balance the three things and actually enjoying my connections and life whether it be professional or recreational. And red pandas are so cute, the picture made me chuckle a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World We Dare to Imagine Part 1

AMDP: Brewgooder